Thursday, 15 August 2013

The Old Manila Central University Building


By: Paolo M. Bustamante

Yesterday, I went out on a mission. Unsertain as to my exact destination, I ventured into the great unknown. Despite numerous distractions, I finally found the place that I have been looking for, the old Manila Central University in Manila!


I was just a bit worried because there is a construction going on when I visited the site but when I talked to the construction workers, they said that they are just fixing the road. haha! another dumb blonde moment for me. I was a bit worried, Minerva (MCU's school mascot) wouldnt be so happy if she hears that her school will be demolished.


The Manila Central University started off as review class with Dr. Alejandro M. Albert as their founder and director. The review class developed into the  Escuella de Pharmacia del Liceo de Manila. The site then of MCU was located near Fabella Hospital and Fugoso St. in Sta. Cruz Manila. Then due to increase of enrolees, in 1915m they later transformed into the Manila College of Pharmacy.




\


It was the first educational institution of its kind established and managed by Filipinos.The Manila College of Pharmacy became one of the leading institutions of higher learning of its kind. It produced many prominent pharmacists. Stable and secure in its position, the college expanded in number in 1929. 


In Manila College of Pharmacy became then the Manila College of Pharmacy and Dentistry in the pre-war era and they also moved near Rizal Avenue. in 1945 the Manila College of Pharmacy & Dentristry closed down ddue to the outbreak of the Second World War. The Japanese occupied the building and looted all the laboratory equipments. In 1949 the school relocated its entire university to Caloocan and leaving its old building in Rizal Ave. it again changed its name to its present name Manila Central University.


6 comments:

  1. I remember in the late 1990's they are still operating since I crosses enrolled at MCU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a med. tech. student in late 1989, where the collages (nursing & med. tech.) courses serve there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BULOK MCU WAG KAYO MAGARAL DITO OLFU NA LANG YUNG MGA PROF NANGBABAGSAK

    ReplyDelete
  4. madaming pokpok pota na med tech students sa MCU isa na si mich tobias. daming lalake nagparusa sa potang pekpek non.

    ReplyDelete
  5. true may kilala ako taga dyan si abigail r rabe. mayabang malandi ngayon may 2 anak iba iba tatay.

    ReplyDelete