Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Demolition of the Meralco Building


By: Paolo M. Bustamante


My classmates and I are doing a short documentary about the plight of our heritage sites in Manila. We started shooting yesterday. So from Benilde we went to San Marcelino St. near Adamson Univerisity. Our first stop is the Meralco Building. The Meralco Building is perfect for our documentary.


I talked to one of the contractors there, Mang rodriguez and he said they are doing the best they can to preserve the Monti structures. All he knows is that the Monti Furies was sculpted by some Italian guy.( at least he knows something about the Furies)


So we started interviewing him. He sat on a chair and started talking about the demolition and the condition of the Meralco Building. He said that Mcdonald's will occupy this lot. I was schocked! I mean after what happened to the YMCA, Baguio Pine Trees and other structures that were demolished by the SMDC I started boycotting SM. Now Mcdonald's UGH! I am so getting cheeze fries! This really made me furious! Mang Inasal is the way to go!



At least they are done casting the Monti Furies but what will happen to the original? the top was chipped off.


 Last week, one of the workers was quoted as saying "durog lahat 'yan" which is quite disappointing. Mr. Ivan Henares of the Heritage Conservation Society stated that " It's like making a copy of an Amorsolo then destroying the original Amorsolo. "


The Meralco Building is a Juan Arellano masterpiece. Located in San Marcelino St. Ermita, Manila beside Adamson University. It was built in 1936 and it survived WWII. The fascade of the building has a bas-relief embellishments and it was designed by Francesco Ricardo Monti and Italian sculptor. He designed the muses in the Metropolitan Museum. This was the original headquarters of Meralco (Manila Electric Rail and Light Company).


The Meralco Building is being demolished to give way to another Mcdonald's. No happy meal for us.

8 comments:

  1. in the other countries they can move an entire house to another location without affecting the whole structure...why not here in Manila? :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because greed talks loudly than all our heritage sights combined.

      Delete
  2. Diyos ko papalitan ng Mc Donalds?! Ang pambabastos nga naman sa mga heritage sites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paolo, another McDonald's? Isn't it that the lot has already been bought by some developer, if I'm not mistaken, it will be Space San Marcelino. Clarify me on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good day Sir! Are you also one of those who bought a unit from the Major Homes Developer for the My Space Tower which will be built in the Old Meralco Building, San Marcelino St.? I am one of them.. Can you give me deatils you know about the construction if it will pursue or not? Thank you sir.

      Delete
  4. It's not Mcdonald's, but Condo Tower, the My Space Tower, which will be built by the Major Homes. I am one of the buyers of these units which were pre-sold in 2012. They say that the tower will be built in the middle of 2013, but since today there is no construction going on beside from the fence of Major Homes. Please update me on the status of the construction if it would happen, for me to resort to any legal way to get back what I already paid them. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is my adopted neighborhood where I spent 4 years of my high school life in the 70s. The familiar coconut scent from the refinery and that row of carinderias that took over the ground floor. My stay in those boarding houses around Adamson I can never forget. The destruction of this landmark surely took away a part of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. History wrote finis. Done as written. The new McDo now stands, the Furies demolished and the replica (yes a mere replica) with the previously non-existent woman on top of the sculpture installed at Adamson University's new building facade.

    ReplyDelete