Thursday, 20 June 2013

Houses in Bambang

By: Paolo M. Bustamante


Last Monday my driver made a wrong turn in Bambang. I was a bit nervous because I may not make it to my first class. But, I trust my driver, he's good, he knows the streets of Manila better than me. I think he has google maps installed somewhere in his brain. So we were somewhere in Manila, I dont know where, and i noticed that while my driver is speeding up, I saw beautiful ancestral houses all lined up in one street. 



I told him to slow down because gurrlll... hello... We are going beyond the speed limit. I just took my camera and went down the car and I was able to take a lot of good pictures because part of the Alfonso Mendoza St. was closed.




I wanted to document the houses in Alfonso Mendoza St. by asking the owners about their houses, blah blah bah and.. like when was the house built and stuff like that. I first visited the white and green house well actually for me, it is not a house, it looks more like a mansion. The walls are too high for you to see the inside of the mansion. Good thing I am 6'4 tall. 




I noticed that most of the ancestral houses that i visit in manila has these lion statues outside of their house, like the ones in Leon Guinto.




 The embroidery of the details of the roof is superb and by looking at the house you'll see traces that the family came from a rich clan. I wasnt able to get the background of the house because there was no one around.




Moving on to the next house, I am not sure but it  a line of apartments. I was able to talk to the owner of the apartment. He told me that he does not know anything about the apartments but he is sure that it is a prewar house. I saw him collecting the rent from the tenants.




The next house looks like it was built during the 1930's. Old yet chic and classic. Notice the roof of the house, it has a pointy shaped thing. I noticed that most of the houses in Malate and in Manila has this pointy thing in their roofs. Call me Sherlock.



 There is also a symbol of a harp on the roof. unfortunately the house is dilapidated and is falling apart.



The last house that i visited is quite common. I have nothing else to comment. The fist level of the house is made of bricks and the second floor is made of wood. 



If you know the history or the background of these houses message me or post your insights at the comment box below.

1 comment:

  1. I can't comment on the history, but I must say I sometimes pass A. Mendoza and I've never seen these houses! Thanks for sharing! Every street in Sampaloc must have at least one ancestral house!

    ReplyDelete