Friday, 3 August 2012

Calvo Building

 By: Paolo M. Bustamante

My friend and I were on a mission, to visit and we had planned it up to the last detail. We checked the website of PAGASA if it will rain, I mapped out the itinerary on where to go and we brought plenty of cash for emergency. So From school, my friend and I went to the street of Escolta, where the modern intertwines with the past. It is an ideal day to go on a field trip to Manila because it was sunny when we left Vito Cruz. When we got to Plaza Lacson rain poured. There is this group formed a coallition for us not to go to Escolta. Mr. bipolar weather (more like a typhoon), Ms.heavy traffic and Mr. flooded streets. We were soaking wet and ready to go!



Our first stop was the Calvo Building. Unfortunately for us the ground floor was flooded and the museum was closed. Boo us. Anyway, The Calvo Building was built in 1938 by architect  Fernando Ocampo. Before, it was home to the studios and corporate offices of the Republic Broadcasting System. DZBB, the first signals of radio station, was sent from a makeshift studio on its 4th floor by an American war correspondent Robert Stewart. Seven years after the company (DZBB), moved to its current location along EDSA and is now more popularly known as GMA7. Now, the Calvo Building houses the Vintage Bottle Collection and the Escolta Museum located at the 2nd floor of the building. Entrance fee is P50.00. 


Going to Escolta is like going to the Emerald city because Escolta has such a diverse architectural movements such as Artdeco (First United Building), Neo Classical (Regina Building) and Beaux-Arts (The Calvo Building). Before anything else I would like to apologize to my loyal yet loving readers because recently I haven't been posting anything in my blog because of school work. That's why I am making a comeback, featuring the buildings of Escolta with a Bang! Holla! Now that I am free, I need a reason to wake up in the morning, because I have this humungous hole in my life that cant be filled by shopping, only visiting these nostalgic buildings fill that hole!

No comments:

Post a Comment