Thursday, 19 April 2012

Casa Conecuera



 By: Paolo M. Bustamante

A couple of weeks ago I was in  National University with a friend to watch a basketball game between San Beda V.S. NU. Watching basketball was never my thing, so I took a glimpse on what is outside the school, and from where I was standing, I could almost see half of Manila.  If you are standing at the west wing of the school you will see the main building of U.S.T. but if you are in the gym, you will see a number of ancestral houses waiting to tbe discovered and nice thing about it is that they are scattered around the place. I was very eager to visit all but I would definitely need the whole day to interview the owners. I first went to this mysterious looking house, the house looks like the houses in Vigan execept for the tacky green wall that the owners built outside the house to avoid burglars and housebreakers.


The Casa Conecuera is located along G.Tuazon St. Manila. I interviewed Raff Roxas, his great grandmother, Dona Isabella Conecuera, is the original owner of the house and according him the house is more than 100 years old he said it was built in the late 1890's. The family has no plans on selling the place. The house was handed down from one generation to the next and Dona Isabella noted to never sell the place. The current owners made sure that the house is well maintained, spotless and is still habitable because as of now there are more than two families living in that house. The Casa Conecuera is the only thing they've got to remember their great grandmother and their ancestors.


Before Raffy and I parted ways, he told me that before, the street of G.Tuazon is filled with old houses. Now there are more or less 10 houses in the street and nsome of them are in good conditon some of the houses are grubby and unmaintained. There will come a time that those houses will be gone, who knows maybe they will be converted into a parking lot or an apartment after all the houses in G. Tuazon are surrounded by colleges and universities. Only time can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment