Wednesday, 14 December 2011

Tuason Compound

  By: Paolo M. Bustamante

I was impressed! I found another antique house in Sampaloc, Manila but when I went inside, I not only saw one but six and i mean six antique houses. It is known as the Tuason Compound in Dr.Conception Aguila St.  beside National Teacher's College.


The compound is owned by the Tuasons. Dr. Alejandro Tuason a physician and a surgeon, Roberto Tuason an attorney and Enrico Tuason an engineer. They were known as one of the richest families in Sampaloc. The oldest house in the compound dates back in the late 1890's located in Dr. Aguila St. and the recent one was built in 1921 located in Arlegui. They have access to both streets because the house is end to end. I met Mr. Danny Tuason he and his sister Gigi are the ones who take care of this house. He admits that the house really lacks maintenance but they make sure that they won't demolish the houses in their  memory of their grandparents.


May I just say, Danny's nephew studies in my school.  Animo Benilde and Animo to the Tuasons for preserving their houses.

2 comments:

  1. Hats off to you Paolo ! We need more citizens like you to educate and keep the new generations/youth to be aware of this historic places and the history behind it. I was trying to search Gigi Tuason in google...when I saw your site, Robert Tuason is my ninong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much!!! I went to the tuazon compound last October, some of the houses are in pretty bad shape.

      Delete