Tuesday, 20 December 2011

Binondo Church

By: Paolo M. Bustamante


I dug a hole in my backyard and now, I am in China! After visiting the church of Malate I went straight to Binondo. I felt out of place when I went there, because there were Chinese everywhere. Wow! that rhymes. When I went to Binondo Church, there was a wedding! thank goodness! the perks of weddings in  churches is that you can pretend to be a part of the wedding photography crew and not ask for permission if you can take pictures inside the church.





Binondo Church, also known as Minor Basilica of St. Lorenzo Ruiz was erected in 1596. Did you know that St. Lorenzo Ruiz served as an altar boy in this church. The Binondo Church is located in Ongin St., Manila. The Church was founded by the Dominicans in 1596 to convert the Chinese people into Christians. The church was damaged in 1792 by the British and during the WWII, like most churches in Manila, It was badly damaged during WWII.



I thought Binondo was like Escolta, even though Escolta is a dying street, it still tries to pick up its pieces and stand up but Binondo is different, I thought they are all about preserving the history and culture of the Filipino-Chinese but I was completely wrong . Binondo has a lot to offer and Binondo plays a big role when it comes to the tourism in Manila. I got upset when I saw an antique house being demolished in Binondo to give rise to a condo.I hope that the Filipino-Chinese community in Binondo will see the light and preserve the old Binondo before it is too late. Business  may be business for the Chinese but then again, a country who does not value its ruins has no history.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's a typo error. "The church was damaged in 1972 by the British.." is it 1972 or 1762....??...It caught my attention because the British came here in our country during the 17th century...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh my gosh! Typo muchhh! Sorry I think I was drink when I was typing. Sorry and thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece, but further research would have led you to two buildings on the left though new ones, had a historical past. To the church's immediate left was were the Insular Tobacco building used to stand and further left would lead you to the site of the former Hotel Oriente, that was where Rizal often stayed while in Manila and when they were no longer living in their old Binondo house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Binondo Church is one of the favorite church when it comes to wedding. Aside of its beauty, it is also one of the historic buildings in Binondo.

    ReplyDelete