Saturday, 24 September 2011

Paco Building


 By: Paolo M.Bustamante

It is hard to write something if you have little knowledge about that something, that is why we do research but in the case of the Paco Building in the district of Paco Manila, people barely know the history behind this wonderful building.


All I know is that it is an Art Deco Building that was built in 1939. 1930’s was the year when Manila had Art Deco styled-architecture It started booming everywhere like mushrooms. I tried to Google the history of the building because when I went there, nobody knows who built it or what it is. Even Google failed me, so I will just tell you on how I ended up in the Paco Building.

It was a regular filming day for me I decided to make a video about the historical landmarks of Manila and post it in YouTube because filming was also my hobby. I had a six-hour break last term and basically I got bored and started exploring the streets of Manila. My first video was about the monuments of Intramuros and it had 299 views & 10 likes on its 3rd week. My second video was about the street of Escolta. I was running out of ideas and I don’t want to upset my eight subscribers for not udating my channel so I decided to shoot in the district of Paco, Manila even though I have little knowledge about such.


I ended up wasting gas but it was worth it. I found 5 landmarks but the landmark that captured my eyes was the Paco Building. It is a very simple Art Deco Building. It has this green linings and the image of the Virgin Mary embossed at the wall of the building. It is sad because the vendors were covering the landmark. I was so interested about this building I even interviewed some people about it but even the caretaker of the building wasn’t there. My class was about to start so I had no other choice but to leave, not knowing the secrets of the Paco Building.

3 comments:

  1. If you are from De La Salle College of St. Benilde, I am happy to impart information that the property itself was part of the original De La Salle College compound that was erected there in 1911 until it transferred to Taft Avenue. Gen. Luna on its left side of that triangular property was formerly Nozaleda St., Go to the DLSU Press Office, maybe they still have copies of coffee table books narrating DLSU's history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That triangular piece of property now housing commercial establishments was either leased or sold to the La Salle Christian Brothers (FSC). Another piece of trivia: the wrought iron fence fronting the original school was uprooted and donated to Fort Santiago and is now the very same fence at the Forts Santiago entrance. Glad to contribute to this forum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Addendun: Property was leased/sold to La Salle by the Madrigal family. Please excuse some of my typhos, I don't have very good eyesight and I have fat fingers.

      Delete